Many companies find it important to give back to their communities. Some CEOs remember nonprofits that helped them get their life together when they were younger. Some see the hurdles that they have had to overcome and want to make life easier for others. Some have family members or friends who are struggling and they want to help. And, to be honest, some just want the publicity.
The great thing about giving back is that you can get your name out there while doing some good for other people. There’s nothing wrong with wanting people to see where your company places value. It’s the perfect way to show people what is important to you.
Maybe you don’t know where to start, though. Here are a few ideas of ways that you can give back to your community:
- Host a social charity event.
- Here in Texas, we have the Adopt-a-Highway program, in which a person or organization “adopts” a stretch of road to conduct litter pick-ups.
- Organize a walk / run for a cure, such as the JDRF One Walk for type 1 diabetes or Susan B. Komen Race for the Cure to benefit breast cancer research.
- Partner with your local food bank or homeless shelter to collect food and items to donate for those in need.
- Commit to plant-friendly practices.
- Work with a mentor program, such as Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.
- Provide pro bono services for nonprofits or offer discounts to those in emergency services.
- Create a program through your own company that offers something to the community. This could be teaching others your trade, helping people get their GED, or offering scholarships. The more tied in with the type of company, the better.