Business owners often have a lot of responsibilities on their plate. Not only do they need to be sure their company is running smoothly, but they also need to make sure that employees are following the company policies and procedures. It is important for business owners to educate themselves on how to spot potential issues with employees so that any problems can be addressed in a timely manner before things escalate.
- Employees should be educated on company policies.
- All employees must have a copy of the handbook.
- Company policy should be made clear to all employees.
- Employee training should be scheduled regularly so that new hires are up-to-date with any changes in company policy.
- The company’s values and mission statement should be displayed prominently for all employees to see, including at their desk or office space.
- If an employee violates company policy, they will need to go through the disciplinary process before being terminated from employment.
Disciplinary action needs to also be made clear to everyone, from employees to management. Everyone needs to know what will happen in the case of different broken policies. These definitely need to be outlined in your employee handbook. You may also consider posting these in common areas, such as a break room.
The bottom line is that it takes a lot of work to make sure employees are following company policies and procedures. But, if you take the time upfront to do this legwork, it will help avoid problems down the road. What steps have your taken to make sure your employees follow company policy?